Today we’re going to learn a bit more about data sets. This will be a somewhat longer challenge, but hey, what has to be done has to be done. That’s a fully correct English sentence.
IBM Master the Mainframe Part Two – Challenge #07
Create a data set using JCL DD parameter provided by local storage administrator
Again, for starters we need to allocate a new data set using a series of commands. I will list them here for quick completion.
- tso submit ‘zos.public.jcl(p2ch7a)’ as primary command.
- a as jobname character.
- sd as primary command.
- prefix ; owner Z50087; st; as primary command, change my ID it to your ID.
- f3 to return to the ISPF Primary Option Menu.
View attributes of newly created data set
- dslist p2ch7.seq1 as primary command.
- v as line command next to the DDNAME, press enter if the VIEW ENTRY PANEL pops up.
Now we see the following data. Make a note of the LRECL, RECFM, and DSORG values. The values are needed to complete the challenge.
I took note of these values, did you?
Modify JCL to create a sequential data set using attributes you specify
Again we need a series of commands to get to the JCL we need to modify.
- dslist JCL as primary command.
- e as line command next to the data set name.
- s p2ch7b as primary command to create a new member inside JCL.
- copy ‘zos.public.jcl(p2ch7b)’ as primary command when you’re inside P2CH7B.
Inside the JCL above we need to change several things. In my case I need to change the following.
- ###### to VPWRKA
I have made the changes, I have also highlighted them on the screenshot above. Submit it using sub ; =sd ; st and if it asks for a jobname character choose b.
Complete the challenge by creating member #07 into your P2.OUTPUT data set
Again a series of commands.
- tso submit ‘zos.public.jcl(p2ch7c)’ as primary command.
- c as jobname character.
- dslist p2.output as primary command.
- v as line command next to P2.OUTPUT, press enter if the view panel comes up.
- s as line command next to member #07 to see if the output is there.
P2CH7.SEQ1 and P2CH7.SEQ2 are present in this list. This means I have completed the challenge correctly!